For the person who struggles to trust, it can be a very scary thought to even attempt to trust someone. Especially if they have hurt you at some point.
Brené Brown introduces us to the “Anatomy of Trust” using an acronym she calls ‘BRAVING’.
- Boundaries: Are you clear about and respecting each other’s boundaries?
- Reliability: Will you do what you say you will?
- Accountability: Are you willing to own your mistakes?
- Vault: Do you keep what is shared in confidence?
- Integrity: Do you practice your values, rather than just professing them?
- Non-judgment: Can you fall apart in front of each other without being judged? Do you refrain from judging yourselves for needing help
- Generosity: Can you assume the most generous thing about the other person’s intent and behaviors, maintaining a positive perspective?
You can watch her video here where she explains these points in detail, I highly recommend it to anyone who feels they may struggle with trust, either trusting, or being trusted, it really helps to open your eyes.